On Dec 18, 2013, at 1:47 PM, Dan Winheld <dwinh...@lmi.net> wrote:

> Is it just me, or is there not something ironic about a serious minded 21st
> century LUTE-list member finding a great 20th century musical icon (think of
> him what one will otherwise) "outdated"?

Not at all.  Implicit in the whole early music movement is the assumption that
the mainstream classical approach to early music was outdated, including icons
like Karajan, Stokowski, and yes, Segovia.  Their approach was an
early-to-mid-twentieth-century approach that became outdated when we learned
better.

In Joel Cohen's Reprise (1985), a book about the early music revival that is
quickly becoming a historical document in its own right, he tells of a young
French tenor who encountered his former voice teacher at the Paris
Conservatoire and told her that he just sang a Machaut mass in concert.  She
got upset and said, "How many times times must I tell you? There's no future in
that crazy modern music!"