From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
WALSH STUART
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2014 11:29 AM
To: Braig, Eugene; lutelist Net
Subject: [LUTE] Re: 15th century duo for gittern and dulcimer

> I loved it.  Thanks for this effort, Stuart.  Did you know Ensemble Gabriele
> Leone recorded the same piece using medieval gittern on their 2000 release,
> Cinq Siècles de Mandolines: 1300-1800?
>
> http://www.ensemble-gabriele-leone.org/egl/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=1
> 0&lang=fr
>

> Best,
> Eugene

Thanks Eugene. No I don't know this recording.  Jean-Paul Bazin has an
incredible technique and I suppose he played it ten times faster (and more
skilfully) with divisions, or whatever they were called then. I met him many
years ago . Very nice chap too. I also like the way he and the group play music
from different eras.

I'm a left-hander like you, Eugene but I play right-handedly. I really like
trying to play with a plectrum every so often. It's just so different. I think
I've come to terms with fingerstyle with the right hand (as a left-handed
person) but plectrum technique  is something else. But worth a go, I think.

(also I tuned the dulcimer to Pythagorean. Well, I think I did. I tuned the
dial on my Korg tuner to Pythagorean and took it from there and then the
gittern to the dulcimer. The dulcimer, as I have tuned it, doesn't have a C
sharp so I tuned the gittern C sharp to the Korg. It sounds odd to me but seems
pretty close to what the Korg claims to be a C#.)

Stuart

---
is active.