On 06/06/2014 23:06, Braig, Eugene wrote:

Groovy!  What plectrum did you use here?  I use several incarnations of
plectrum depending on era of music and instrument at hand.  . . . And, in spite
of my sinistral tendencies, my plectrum, punteado, and occasional rasgueado
efforts are always executed with the right hand.

Eugene I had forgotten that you are left-handed but play (in your preferred usage) standard instruments. Is there also a Worshipful Company of Left-Handed Standard Lute Players (i.e. playing right-handedly), I wonder?

For a plectrum I'm using a length of guitar string with a bit of masking tape. I gleaned this from a discussion on this list some time. I've tried many kinds of plectrum but me the main issue is plectrum playing itself, rather than the plectrum. How do you get on with playing with a plectrum in your right hand when you are left handed? You have noted that both hands equally are involved in complex tasks in playing a plucked instrument. But....

Usually in music, if I have realistic goals, I can fairly well come to be able to play things (e.g. quite difficult passages) with careful, slow practice. But this doesn't happen ever with plectrum issues. I can practice a troublesome passage countless times over a period of time, pick up the instrument and plectrum and I'll be just as likely to bungle it... or get it right. It's fascinating in an annoying way, really.

Stuart

While Jean-Paul certainly plays it faster, the effect is no more entertaining.
Cheers!

Best,
Eugene

---