Dear Simon,

One has to be wary about the nomenclature for nylgut strings as Aquila change
their formula without informing customers. The old white nylgut was replaced by
the 'new' rather sickly yellow material a few years back. The 0.40 diameter
strings were very problematic and would indeed snap without warning. I, too,
tried every trick in the book to make sure the grooves on the nut of my lute
were smooth before realising that the strings were the problem.

There are now 'new new' nylgut strings available. They used only to exist in
thick diameters and as long strings (NGE) but they are now available across the
range. They are very shiny compared to the 'old new' nylgut and the thicker
strings can be a pain to wind onto a peg because they are very stretchy. I have
been sent a couple of samples but haven't tried them yet but I have been told
by other players that they no longer break easily and that the sound is pretty
convincing. The reference remains the same (NG).

Best wishes

Matthew