-----Original Message-----

On 17.01.2015 20:54, Herbert Ward wrote:
>> Do lutes and guitars compete directly for tone wood supplies?
>>
>> In other words, do lute builders and guitar builders use the same
>> criteria in selecting spruce lumber for soundboards?

I certainly agree with your bottom line, Markus, that "guitar builders have
more possible sources for tonewoods."  However, Picea abies is still in very
high demand as soundboards for modern classical guitars (marketed to US
luthiers under many trade names, perhaps most commonly as "European" or "German
spruce" (although I believe very little of the current supply comes from
Germany).  Given the relative volume of guitar production, even considering
"classical" guitars in comparison to steel-strung incarnations, I'd wager there
is a pretty substantial competition with lute builders for quality timber.
That's only an assumption and I have no idea how what kind of influence that
has on markets and production.

Sitka (P. sitchensis) is really only prized in high-tension, steel-strung
modern acoustic guitars.  I've only encountered a few classical builds in
Sitka.  Of the North American spruces, Engelmann (P. engelmannii) is probably
the most popular for classical instruments.  . . .  And of course, western red
cedar (Thuja plicata) is also prized as classical guitar tonewood, although its
favor seems to wax and wane a bit in comparison to spruce(s).

I actually have a vihuela that Chad Neal, a local luthier friend, rebuilt using
hybrid Lutz spruce (P. x lutzii) which is actually a white (P. glauca) x
Engelmann spruce hybrid.  I think it works very well in context.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__F-xZ4YNaFk/SsLPMHXvD_I/AAAAAAAAAAU/wFEGYRuLxOc/s1600/IMG_5096.JPG

Very slow growth--closely spaced grain--seems the most highly prized feature of
soundboards whatever the timber (assuming an absence of flaw/defect like
runout, etc.).  However, the very few well-made (and sometimes very old)
instruments I've encountered with widely spaced grain bring the rationale for
that status quo into question.

Best,
Eugene