Hi again Herbert, Martin, Arto et al.,
   I have just spoken with the technician at Savarez. They are redoing
   their website and hope to update their string calculator at some time
   in the future.
   In the meanwhile I managed to get some explanations regarding their
   reference numbers for over-wound strings. They offer silver wound
   strings (NFA), copper wound strings (NFC) and plastic wound strings
   (NFP). I have never tried the latter but Savarez recommend them for
   transitional strings on theorbo-necked instruments. I would be
   interested if anybody has any feedback on them.
   The numbers correspond to the PUL (linear density). For example, NFA
   230 is a silver wound string with a PUL of 2.3 g/metre. The silver and
   copper strings have different reference numbers because copper is
   slightly less dense than silver and to compensate the inner core is
   thicker so as to give the same tension.
   One can calculate the tension with the following formula, making sure
   to use the same units for SL and PUL (I hope I've got it right, I'm not
   a mathematician by any stretch of the imagination!):
   4 x the frequency^2 x string length^2 x PUL
   This gives tension in kilos, for Newtons divide by 9.8
   The technician gave me specific tensions for your baroque lute 9th
   course fundamental (E at a'415):
   NFA 230 gives 2.7 kgs
   NFA 250 gives 3 kgs
   NFA 275 gives 3.1 kgs
   Strangely, when I do the calculations with his formula I don't get
   quite the same results so maybe he was using a more complex formula (or
   winding down for his afternoon nap).
   I think Paul Beier's calculator is definitely the way to go for
   simplicity's sake. Otherwise, why not use Kuerschner or Aquila, their
   references use gut equivalent diameters and so are very straight
   forward for tension calculations?
   Anyway, one string down, 23 to go!
   Best,
   Matthew