Dear Martyn (and All),

I'm not ruling out the possibility of loaded strings, but I do think the evidence from bridge holes is mixed, in the sense that we would have to be absolutely certain that a bridge with small holes was original.

Even with modern gut strings it's possible to string a 6c lute with only plain gut (well, high twist or whatever) in the bass and also a 13c swan neck lute! The difficult cases are the 8 to 10 course lutes, the 13c bass rider type, also the liuto attiorbato, for all of which loaded basses might well be the answer.

I can't send attachments to the list but I'm sending you another painting from 1576 which shows strings very clearly and they're remarkably thin.

Best wishes,

Martin