> On Sep 16, 2016, at 11:46 PM, David van Ooijen <davidvanooi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Well, there you go then. But maybe Ron doesn't read his own pages.

It’s easy to forget.  Just today, in writing program notes for a concert of
Beethoven’s last piano sonata, violin sonata and string quartet, I remembered
that B. had remarked some time after the ninth symphony, perhaps five years
before he died that he was just then learning how to compose.  I wanted to
confirm that he made that remark.  My web search for “just learning to compose”
took me straight to an essay about a B. quartet on the Los Angeles Philharmonic
website, written by — you guessed it — me.