Hello all,
   I am sure this is a topic that has been beaten to death at some time or
   another, but I figured I would try to find some opinions as they are a
   bit difficult to come by when merely searching on google.
      I have done a good bit of practicing while resting my pinky on the
   soundboard which proves to be mildly helpful when searching for some of
   the bass strings, however, I have been practicing for the past couple
   months without doing so and have found that muscle memory tends to take
   care of me rather well.   I am still a beginner on the baroque lute.
   I have mastered some of the shorter Gaultier and Weiss pieces (I'm sure
   the term mastered is entirely subjective) and have found that I am able
   to play with a much lighter touch and have far better dynamic control
   when my pinky is free rather than resting.   I tend to owe this to the
   fact that my pinky and ring finger are hopelessly connected together,
   so my range of motion is not great when playing with a rested little
   finger.   I have also noticed that there are a few professional players
   who tend to play with a free little finger as well.
   I don't use gut strings, but I have heard that one must play closer to
   the bridge to achieve a good tone when using them, so the practice of
   resting the little finger on the bridge seems more practical in this
   situation.   I, however, have found the best sounds for Carbon/nylon to
   come either from directly behind the rosette or perhaps somewhere in
   the middle.   I apologize for the long winded post.  any thoughts on
   this?
   Jack