Dear Anthony,
   Many thanks for this.
   Why is it thought by some that the intended instrument was an Italian
   'calascione' (not to be confused with the mid-European
   callichon/gallichon) rather than a 'liuto' or 'leuto' with 6/7 courses
   which was still known in Italy in the eighteenth century (various
   depictions) or, indeed, even something like Dalla Casa's arcileuto?
   regards .... and keep up the good work!
   Martyn

   On Friday, 24 May 2019, 16:47:45 BST, Anthony Hart