From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Jurgen Frenz
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 11:40 PM
To: Franz Mechsner <franz.mechs...@gmx.de>
Cc: Dan Winheld <dwinh...@lmi.net>; lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Julian Bream on Lute

Julian Bream was a vital part (I believe) of the lute revival 50 years ago by
making the music public. On the downside of it he played guitar technique on it
to the point of using singe strings on both the high G and D courses - it
allowed him to play apoyando on the lute which is a big no-no. Hence his lute
playing doesn't really sound like a lute. Also, at that time, it was common
guitar technique to use sound differences to emphasize or mark formal sections
by moving the right hand extremely close to the bridge, which creates a very
metallic sharp sound. This has fallen out of favor on the guitar as well, I
personally would qualify it as obnoxious, even more so on the lute.
If you like it, you may listen to Konrad Ragossnigs lute recordings, he sounds
very much like Bream did.

Best
Jurgen

“Close your eyes. Fall in love. Stay there.”

Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rumi