It is my impression that there are quite a few outstanding young players who
will continue the tradition of great lute playing. Names that immediately come
to mind are Lukas Henning and Bor Zuljan. We should ask the teachers at the
Schola in Basels what they think of young players. - Further, when you look at
the "new members" section in the latest Lute News magazine by the British Lute
Society there are quite a few Japanese sounding names - that indicates to my
opinion a growing interest in lute music outside of Europe which is very
encouraging.
Another thing is that amateurs who spend a lot of time and effort in
transcribing lute music from manuscripts and hard-to-find prints into a modern
typeset and put it for free online - Sarge Gerbode is doing outstanding work in
this respect (and if you doubt his competency he also puts the faksimiles
online so that everybody can individually verify).
Those 3 ingredients (well trained young players, growing interest outside of
Europe and a large stock of available music without cost) are an indication
that we don't have to be concerned for the future of lute playing. My opinion,
that is.