Even though Basel Schola is a turning point in lute teaching, it is certainly
not the only one ! Bor Zuljan, for one, didn’t study there and yet he is
undoubtedly in the lead regarding lute playing ! Young Dunford never completed
his curriculum there, etc etc...
Lukas Henning was probably one of the most gifted students of Hoppy Smith and
deserves a much better recognition.
There are talented people everywhere and that’s a very good thing indeed ! The
lute is undergoing a strong revival and that rejoices me a lot as it proves the
older generation did a hell of a good job !
Jean-Marie Poirier