Very good,
a few suggestions

On 14-Jan-99 Martin Vermeer wrote:

> Public release of LyX version 1.0.0
> ===================================
>
> What is LyX?
> ------------
>
> LyX is a free document processor providing a modern approach to writing
> documents on your computer. Compared to common word processors, LyX
> makes you more productive by delegating the gory details of the typesetting
> job to the computer. You become immediately productive for writing short
> notes or letters, but LyX really shines when composing complex documents like
                       ^^^^^
> movie scripts, technical documentation and doctoral theses (real-life
examples!).
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Technically, this is done by combining the comfortable interface of a
> WYSIWYG word processor -- in which you will feel right at home -- with
                                                 I'd throw that out, it doesnt
add any contents
                                                 and makes the sentence
comlicated to read.

> the high quality output of a real typesetting system. LyX interfaces with
> LaTeX, the most popular typesetting software available; however, no
> familiarity with LaTeX is required.
>
> LyX operates under a paradigm different from that of conventional word
> processors. You set the "ground rules" for your document, but leave the
> finer points of document layout to LyX's highly advanced, intelligent
> rendering engine -- the LaTeX typesetting system. We call this WYSIWYM --
> What You See Is What You MEAN. All the common formatting intelligence of
> LaTeX is visually presented, such as a table-of-contents window acting
> as an outline browser, "live" reference links to figures, tables
> and literature references, section and list numbering, and more. The
> result is to liberate the author from many of the headaches associated
> with typical word processing.

> However, this does limit your freedom to
> change the document layout rules on-the-fly, intentionally or otherwise.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm sorry but I disagree here. LyX does not limit the user in any way.
This sounds too negative imho.
If I'd say anything about this at all, I propose:

 While novices have the choice between the many professional looking document
 classes that LyX and LaTeX provide, sophisticated users will quickly learn the
 advanced editing techniques involved in changing document layout rules
 on-the-fly.

> Release 1.0 includes several standard formats and templates that will,
> without effort by the author, produce documents of a particular format.
> There is a growing library of formats and templates which will allow
> the user to write a wide range of documents.
>
> LyX is native to the Unix platform, and provides native support for
> postscript fonts and figures. It contains an especially strong, fully
> integrated formula editor, which adds WYSIWYG convenience to LaTeX's
> powerful and flexible formula-writing capabilities.
>

>From a user point of view:

LyX has _the_ best formula editor there is, TeX is _the_ best typesetting
system for mathematics. The combination of these two makes LyX a very
powerful tool. Unless the computer would read my handwritten manuscripts,
it wont get any easier.

I know that sounds strong, but thats the way I feel about it.

> LyX has excellent on-line help, including a beginner's tutorial, a
> user's guide, and a manual for advanced users; its menu system has been
> localized into a dozen different (Latin character set) languages,
> each of which can be selected at run time.
>
> One feature lacking from LyX is import of MS Word documents. So, if you
> need continued access to these legacy documents, you should also keep
> a traditional word processor (like Corel's WordPerfect for Linux) on
> your disk.

Wasnt there xml support planned for LyX, I heard a talk yesterday about xml.
The speaker said that xml will be the native Office 2000 format and xml
parsers are available on CPAN (...Amir ...:-)

> All in all, LyX is a complete environment for writing documents.  It

  not only has

> superior support for scientific writing, but works

   equally

> well for any kind of
> document.

> Read more about LyX (including screen shots) at:
>
>               http://www.lyx.org/
>
> What's new compared to LyX version 0.12.0?
>
> Most importantly, import of existing LaTeX documents using the new reLyX
> perl script. Better support for SGML/LinuxDoc, tables, and
> indexing/bibliographies, etc. Summing up, it's just better looking,
> better working, better documented, and lots of bugs have been fixed.
>
> [rest clipped. Anybody any corrections on ftp/http sites?]
>
> Martin

Very good so far,
exactly what we need to come up with.

Roland Krause
Visiting Research Associate - Center for Computational Mechanics
Washington University, Saint Louis
Roland Krause <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>