On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 10:03 +0200, Juergen Vigna wrote:

> Asger Ottar Alstrup wrote:
> > One conclusion is clear: The only sure way to get substantially faster
> > rendering is to draw less on the screen, as discussed earlier today,
> > either by introducing the old singlePar optimisation, or do some
> > drawing-caching scheme.
>
> I'm of the opinion that in 1.6 we should work in be able to decide if
> we have to redraw just *one* row, one paragraph or the whole of the
> screen. Especially the *one* row stuff would increase "typing" performance
> a lot (and make it usefull again ;)
>
> Greets,
>
>          Jürgen

But that is happening right now... see rowpainter.C, variable
row_has_changed etc. You can test it by turning on debugging for
Debug::PAINTING.

Don't ask me what's consuming all the drawing time. Of course if you
scroll page wise up or down, you're going to repaint pretty much every
screenful that you see.

- Martin