On 16-Sep-2000 Dekel Tsur wrote:
> I've created a list of bugs/problems with the new table inset.
> This should keep Juergen busy for a while (I suppose I should help with
> items 19 and 20).

Ok now some final words to this "missing features" report #:O) all points
I'll let out have been fixed in current cvs to the problematic ones I'll
comment [and snip most of the original post have a look at that if you
want to see in detail what Dekel found out]:

> 1. The most annoying problem is that the cursor can be placed outside
> of a cell's text inset, and when the cursor is there, you cannot
[snip]

Ok this should be fixed now in some way! now you can start typing also when
the cursor is outside the textinset and the text is added at the begin of
the text inset or at the end of it (have to do this today) depending if the
cursor is before or behind in the cell!

> 2. When you have a table with many rows (whose height is bigger then the
> height of the screen), and you scroll through the document with either
> down or pagedown, the view will jump from the top of the table to
> the bottom of the table, without showing the middle.

This is still unresolved I'll need some help with this one!

> 4. The speed of editing of text in a table is slow. Especially when having
> fixed width columns, or a table inside a table.

I'll guess we first make the inset stable then we look another time where
we can make it faster (low priority and also hard to do!)

> 5. LyX crashed when doing line-delete-forward inside a table cell.

There are surely other not supported functions but we'll find them out
and implement them in time. IMO that the tabular inset as it is now is
already MUCH more usefull than the old one so it shouldn't be a big problem
if you still cannot do all what you can do in normal text!

> 9. When marking several cells and pressing C-c (copy), the text is not
> copied to the X-clipboard.

Has to be done. The question is how we should copy the text into the
clipboard? As tab/newline separated text? We could also put an option
in the tabular-layout to copy the tabular into the clipboard as TeX or/and
Troff #:O)

> 10. When exporting as ASCII, the tables are missing.

TODO! I would like to implement both forms a simple Ascii output (one cell
in one row NO multiline cell output) and using groff to process the tables
(is it possible to get ascii output from a LaTeX file, asciilatex ???)

> 11. when having a fixed width column, the separation between paragraphs is
> indent, where it should be skip.

I'll have to look into this the text inset has to know it is inside a
tabular, but I guess this is not so important for now! TODO!

> 19. When inserting a table in a paragraph with a language different then the
> document language, when you type text in some cell it will be in the document
> language (or actually, "default" language :( ), and not in the language of the
> paragraph.

I guess this is easy, I have the buffer from that the text and the actual
postition in the text, the paragraph embeding the inset and the actual language
on the position the inset is embeded, hmmm, should be too hard to create all
the insets with this langugage, should it? I'll have a look today!

> 20. RTL doesn't work properly.

This is defenitively your domain!

Now that I (hopefully) solved most of the reported stuff could somebody
hit me with another report, so that we can make this more and more stable!
I've the feeling that we don't miss too much now!

      Jürgen

--

Dr. Jürgen Vigna        E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Italienallee 13/N       Tel/Fax: +39-0471-450260 / +39-0471-450253
I-39100 Bozen           Web:     http://www.sad.it/~jug

May you have many handsome and obedient sons.