On Tuesday 02 February 2010 05:49:35 Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:
> Guenter Milde wrote:
> > This is why I would greatly welcome improved support for external
> > editing of the lyx source:
> >
> > * open a lyx file in LyX and jump to a specified place/line, so that I
> >   can easily go to `grep` results or the place I have been editing in
> >   my valued text editor.
>
> such use-case scenario would become much less likely to happen with
>
>     T.

Here's a use case. Your doc no longer opens in LyX. So using Vim, you
successively cut out parts of it until it opens in LyX again, and then back
out the changes til you find the offending code. I've had that happen several
times.

Another use case: VimOutliner to LyX converter. No matter how good the LyX
outline mode gets (and it's getting great -- thanks everyone), VimOutliner
will still be faster for slamming out outlines, just because it's based on Vim
keystrokes rather than mouseclicking. So I created a VimOutliner to LyX
converter. The more complex LyX code, the harder that is to do.

Another use case. My Troubleshooting Course Instructor Notes have one section
per slide of the course. Each of these section headings announces its slide's
page number. Whenever I add or subtract slides, all these sections have to be
renumbered. No problem -- the page numbers are all blue, and I have a program
that runs through the LyX native format and renumbers every blue number.

Perhaps the page numbering would have been better off done with some sort of
counter attached to the sections. That's fine, but there's always another
reason, and another, and yet another after that, to tweak with native format.
There's ALWAYS going to be something LyX can't do, and direct file content
editing gives me (and hundreds of others who take LyX beyond its intended
usage) another way to do it.

It reminds me of free software. Only 1 out of 100 free software users is
ready, willing and able to mess with the source code. And yet the fact that
the source code CAN be messed with means you're never limited to just what the
program can do -- you always have a way out of every mess. It may not be
pretty, easy, or cheap, but you have a way out. The same thing's true of
readable, parseable, writeable native formats.

In fact, editability was one of the reasons I chose LyX in the first place.
Here's a quote from
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200109/200109.htm#_linuxlog:

"The "no exports" problem turned out to be a paper tiger. After viewing a LyX
document in VI it was obvious that it was simple, styles-based markup that
could be easily manipulated, and yes, converted, with simple Perl scripts."

And here's a quote from
http://www.troubleshooters.cxm/tpromag/200201/200201.htm#_TheDecision:

"The decision came when I looked at a LyX document in VI. The LyX native file
format is simple, easily understandable and parsable, and you can recover all
styles. It would be trivial to write an app to convert LyX code to XML."

Never underestimate the power and desirability of a native format that's
readable, parseable and writeable.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package