good question!

Note that the new functions are more sophisticated than the old ones. In
particular, they can tell you WHY the dir/file isn't read/writeable.

Note also, that a writeable file need not yet exist but the directory should
be writeable.

Allan wrote them because he wanted the feedback for the "idiot user". I
modified them so that they worked ;-) and then thought that they'd be useful
to other GUI's. They're certainly useful to other xforms dialogs, so they
should at least be put in xform_helpers.[Ch] rather than just in
FormPreferences.

As you can see, I'm not sure whether they should replace the existing
functions!

Angus