On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 10:24:22 +1300
Andrew Parsloe <apars...@clear.net.nz> wrote:

> On 28/02/2012 6:02 a.m., Richard Heck wrote:
> > On 02/26/2012 05:54 PM, Pascal Fischer wrote:
> >> In the options you can choose to separate paragraphs by identation or
> >> spacing. It should be possible to choose both.
> >>
> > Why would you want to use both?
>
> In *informal* letters having both, with a ragged right setting, gives a
> friendlier appearance. Justified text is too formal and indentation only
> or extra spacing only don't seem quite enough for the kind of letter
> where topics are likely to jump around rather than follow the regular
> development of a more structured document
> .
> LyX tries to encourage good typography.
> > But if you do want both, then that can be done, I think, by choosing
> > indentation and then setting \parskip manually in your preamble.
> >
> > Richard
> >

> I use the following, in a module, for informal letters, providing both
> indentation and extra spacing:
>
> Style informal
>       Category              MainText
>       LatexType             Environment
>       LatexName             informal
>       Margin                Static
>       ParIndent             MMM
>       TopSep                .4
>       BottomSep             .4
>       ParSep                .4
>       Align                 Left
>       Preamble
>       \usepackage{hanging}
>       \newenvironment{informal}{%
>               \setlength{\parskip}{\medskipamount}
>               \par\raggedright\begin{hangparas}{3em}{-1}}{%
>               \end{hangparas}}
>       EndPreamble
> End
>
> Andrew

For informal letters I use handwriting, but I can understand the point of
contention. It never fails to make a user slightly petulant when software
deliberately withholds an actually available choice, regardless of what some
authority deems proper. Many software developers (I'm one) are rather oblivious
to psychology. It simply doesn't work that way to encourage users to /want/ to
improve their style.

Klaus