I'm about to commit a layout and template for the R Journal. I'm not
sure whether I should make one commit or a series of commits. On the
one hand, a series of commits gives more information about how the
layout and template were developed and the commits document the
decisions that were made. My thought is that for this case I will
commit the series because I'm not confident in all of the decisions I
made. This way it will be easier for someone who knows more about
layouts to correct a poor decision I made (e.g. revert one of the
commits). On the other hand, I'm not sure the advantages of multiple
commits are worth the extra noise.

Is there any convention for this for LyX development? If not, any
personal opinions or advice?

The commit history for this specific case can be viewed here:

https://github.com/yihui/lyx/commits/master/layouts

Scott