On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 3:42 AM, Vincent van Ravesteijn <v...@lyx.org> wrote:
>> > A separate thing is that we might want to merge in such a change. That
>> > would
>> > cause the master branch to have much fewer commits (if you use
>> > --first-parent-only).
>>
>> OK, I would like to start doing this because it is the most
>> informative of how the development happened. In addition to preserving
>> the thought process, it also shows what commit I was working off of.

> Why would it be interesting what commit you were working off of ?

I don't have any real examples in mind. But I figure it could be
useful to know what features and bugs were present at the time a
developer started the branch. It might explain why the developer made
certain decisions (e.g. workarounds for bugs that were maybe fixed in
the meantime).

>> But I've seen some LyX developers express a distaste for an "empty"
>> (which really it is not) merge commit. For example, in the following
>> link at several points it recommends rebasing over merging:
>> http://wiki.lyx.org/Devel/Git
>
> AFAICS it only mentions that you should not create a merge commit because
> you pulled the new master in. This is just an error, and these merges are
> only annoying.

OK, I see the distinction now.

Scott