On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, John Levon wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Nicolas SABOURET wrote:
>
> > Hi !
> >
> > In lyx 1.1.6, all sub-windows (e.g., latex-preamble, math-panel,
> > characters-layout ...) are on top of the main LyX window. However, this
> > was not the case in previous version and I prefered it before.
> >
> > Is it possible to go back to the previous version (secondary windows NOT
> > on top of the main one) ?
> >

> I agree, it's infuriating to have to move the dialogs out of the way.

The GUII xforms dialogs are all now TRANSIENT dialogs so your window
manager will decide what happens with them.  Window Maker for example
keeps transient dialogs above the main window.  Yes, I know this is a bit
annoying (I too use Window Maker) however we have a problem with xforms in
that we can't raise an iconified form (Angus has other reasons he wants
them left as transient) so by marking them as TRANSIENT they can't be
iconified but your window manager may make you angry.

> > (PS: I read about this in lyx-user, but I couldn't find any "we're
> > working on it" answer. Therefor, I report this as a bug ...)
>
> This is probably because Angus is away, and I think this change is a
> result of some of his cleanups. I expect he'll get back to you soon.

Not really a bug.  An indirect result of a combination of your window
managers policy and our desire to workaround an annoying xforms bug.

Allan. (ARRae)