Le 03/11/2015 00:41, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :
On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 12:11:08AM +0000, Guillaume Munch wrote:

The "Open directory..." could also get rid of the "Show Output Anyway"
button for the same reasoning as (1) above. I like the "Show Output
Anyway" button how it is, but I'm not sure if that's because I just got
used to it. If others prefer one less button though, I would be OK with
that.

To be clear, this is a different dialog right? So are you suggesting to add
this “Open directory” button to the other dialog as well?

Yes, in this case we could have the "Open directory" button in the place
of "Show Output Anyway" and would not need it in the LaTeX Log dialog.
But I just realized that if the compilation is successful, we can only
get to the LaTeX Log dialog so my idea is not good because we might want
to access the temporary directory even on a successful compilation.

I'd keep the “Show
Output Anyway” button, for the reason you mentioned: there can be many
files. What do others think?

Any ideas for a clearer button label than “Open directory...”?

I do not like all first letters capitalized, but it seems that is the
current style so we should stick with that.

I make a quick search and you're right, title capitalization on buttons is a thing and is even recommended in some HIGs. (Title capitalization does not exist in French so I never noticed that in my apps.)

Also I don't think we should
have "...". That is for if another dialog *in LyX* is expected to follow
a click of that button. If I am mistaken on that we should rename "Show
Output Anyway" to have "..." also.

No, I think you are right.

Looking at what other programs do in similar (but slightly different)
situations:

evince and firefox both have:
Open Containing Folder

fslint has:
Open Folder

filelight has:
Open File Manager Here

chromium has:
Show in folder

As for my personal preference, I might like "Open temporary dir" or
"Open temp dir" because it might be nice to emphasize that the directory
is temporary (e.g. it might be deleted soon!). Also that is how we refer
to it technically so if there are any user questions about "the
temporary" directory we will understand exactly which directory is being
referred to, as opposed to "I opened the directory, but...". I suppose
there is room for confusion though, since technically the temporary
directory is actually the parent folder of the lyx_tmpbuf0 directory. In
summary, I don't have a strong preference.

Ok. My preference is for "Open Containing Directory" which I find more intuitive. It is still more specific than "the directory" so it has some of the advantages that you mention. Also, the path already makes it clear that it is not part of the user's personal files.