On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 04:17:36PM +0000, Guenter Milde wrote:

> I want to be able to prepare a document that works with many output
> formats (one source fits all). One more use-case: template
> documents with sensible settings for the various export formats.

+1

> However, the most problematic part (for me) is, that the obscure combinations
> XeTeX/LuaTeX & TeX fonts are simpler to reach than the much more usefull
> LuaTeX & OpenType fonts.

I agree.

I have not followed the #9744 discussion closely or looked at Georg's
recent work, so my following suggestion might be irrelevant now, but in
any case:

Would it make sense to check the box "Use non-TeX fonts" by
default, and then change the full string from
"Use non-TeX fonts (via XeTeX/LuaTeX)"
"Use non-TeX fonts (if XeTeX/LuaTeX)"
?

This would make the default to be the most advised one, and also would
allow compilation with pdfTeX.

Scott