On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 11:07:26PM +0000, Guillaume Munch wrote:
> Le 16/11/2015 22:23, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :

> >>So overall not a very good idea. Thanks,
> >>Liviu
> >
> >I agree with Guillaume.

I should have been more precise so as not to suggest that Guillaume
agrees with my next sentence (although I suppose purely logically, he
does agree that < 5.5 is not worth to build against, he just thinks 5.5
is also not worth to build against).

> >I would say it is not worth to build against any
> >Qt 5.x less than 5.5.
>
> Well, I remember seeing a message on lyx-general reporting independently
> some slowness that looked like the symptoms of 9731 so I would take it
> into account. (Unless you mean "not ≤ 5.5" in which case I agree with you.)

I meant < 5.5. I do not think 9731 is a show-stopper for a pre-release.
I do think 5.4 has showstopper bugs for a pre-release. If Qt 5.5 were
available (in the Ubuntu repos) for Liviu to link against, I think it
would be interesting to discuss having a pre-release with it. We could
get good feedback on potential complications for if we decide to link to
5.6 (e.g. in Ubuntu 16.04) when it comes out. I don't think 9731 would
add so much noise to the feedback.

For a final release, if the choice is between 4.8.x and 5.5 then I agree
with what I think you believe, that 4.8.x is the best choice.

Scott