Guillaume Munch wrote:

> Le 08/11/2015 16:16, Georg Baum a écrit :
>>
>> If I understood Vincent correctly then it would not be a file format
>> change IMHO:
>>
>> As I understood it, he referred to the suggestion that the "track
>> changes" button would be decoupled from \track_changes in the file:
>> \track_changes would set the state of the button on opening a document,
>> but changing the change tracking status would not write back anything to
>> the file.
>
> What I understood as well, up to minor points (if \track_changes is set
> to false, then we can fall back to the per-user, per-document setting,
> because I haven't heard people on the list make a use case out of
> forcing CT to be disabled on opening...).

This introduces some unsymmetry, but you are right, I don't know of a use
case for forcing CT off either.

>> There
>> would be a separate lfun for setting the default in the file.
>
> A minor technical question: there are no LFUN for document settings
> usually right? You are suggesting a new LFUN for convenience?

There are not many, but some exist (e.g. textclass-apply). I do not know why
there are so few lfuns for document settings, but to me it looks natural to
have one.

>> In this case, the file syntax would be kept, but the meaning of
>> \track_changes would change a bit.
>
> I made it a file format change because I imagined that we would have to
> reset the state of the setting while converting, but good to know that
> you are ready to obviate this step.
>

>> After thinking a bit about this
>> suggestion I believe it could be a good compromise for everybody, and I
>> would not treat this as a file format change.
>
> Either that, or add a git mode, in which case it would be good to add
> the setting before 2.2, even if it does not encompass everything right
> from the start. Either suit me; it's a matter of LyX's philosophy as per
> my other message.

I am not sure whether a git mode would be desirable. I believe that all
issues observed so far can also be a problem without VCS, so I think solving
them on a case by case basis helps more users.

> Ping me if you finally find a consensus on whether there is a consensus :)

Actually I have no idea;-( I simply told my opinion.

Georg