On 21/04/16 03:34, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 02:39:19PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
Le 20/04/2016 14:31, bruce muirhead a écrit :
Clearly the problem had to be my particular debian setup.

My first port of call was to change the window manager I have been
using, from xfce running on openbox to xfwm4.

This completely removed the problem, and all is now working as it
should, although I am at a loss in terms of knowing why openbox should
be a problem---it has until very recently been my desktop of choice.
(Obviously, some modification in the openbox version I use.)

That's pretty strange... If you ever find out why openbox does not like this
dialog, there may be something we have to fix on our side.

I have, apparently, been wasting your time, but all I can say is thank
you---without confirmation that the file worked, I would not have found
what was causing my problem.

Don't worry, it is important for us to understand those problems. We've had
several instances where weeks of head scratching lead to discover an actual
bug in our code.

+1 on the contrary, thank you Bruce for helping investigate this issue!

Even though you know the issue has to do with openbox, I think it is
important to know which change in LyX's code triggered the issue.

In my opinion the way to proceed is a git bisect. Now that you have git
set up and you have compiled 2.1.0, here is the procedure:

# will remove any extra files
git clean -xdf
git bisect start
# "good" because you cannot reproduce the bug
git bisect good 2.1.0
# "bad" because you can reproduce the bug
git bisect bad 2.2.0rc1

# chunk label A
# now compile and run LyX, e.g.
# use make -j4 or whatever to speed things up
# sometimes the compilation fails, see below for details on what to do
./autogen.sh && ./configure && make && ./src/lyx
# go have a tea, watch a movie, or eat some ice cream feeling happy with
# yourself because your computer is doing important work so this is not
# wasted time.
# When LyX has compiled (if it compiled successfully), it will
# automatically start (because of the ./src/lyx) so you don't need to
# constantly check back on the terminal.

# now do your manual test of "can you reproduce the bug" ?
# if you do see the bug, then this is a "bad" commit and you run
# git bisect bad
# if you do not see the bug, then this is a "good commit" and you run
# git bisect good
# if you were not able to compile a certain commit, you do not know if
# it is "good" or "bad". In this case do
# git bisect skip

# after the above, you will be taken to a new commit to test whether
# good or bad.
# to be sure, I recommend doing the following:
# this will make sure you do a fresh compile every time.
git clean -xdf

# now go up to chunk label A and start again.

# the output that git provides, should be understandable. It will tell
# you how many times you will need to compile and test, and it will tell
# you which commit is the "bad" one.

Please ask on the list if you have questions.

Scott

When running
git bisect bad 2.2.0rc1
I receive the following message:

Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can switch branches.
Aborting

Please advise.