Le 07/10/2016 à 03:47, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :
On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 01:55:46PM -0400, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
I am still a newcommer to the forward search feature, and am enjoying it
a lot.

Sometimes forward search does not work (even though it is enabled) [1].
For example, if you have not yet previewed the document, or if you
execute the forward search from a part of the text that was added after
the last preview was generated. I understand why this is done, but I
wonder if we could make the experience a little smoother:

- if the document has not yet been previewed, forward search can
  generate the preview. The tricky part is guessing which format to
  preview, but this is actually simple because we should assume the
  default output format specified in Document > Settings > Output.

- if the forward search request is for a section of text added after the
  last preview, I think we should refresh the preview. Here, instead of
  using the default output format, we can do even better by using the
  last previewed format (which is stored in the buffer variable
  preview_format_, added at 09700d5b7).

Any thoughts?

Scott

[1] By the way, I have no objection to this. I imagine it would be
non-trivial to check in getStatus().

Bump.

I'd like forward-search to remain lightweight. Sometimes compilation is very long. But maybe the message "Couldn't proceed" could be made clearer.

Guillaume