On 2017-01-14, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 13.01.2017, 18:56 -0500 schrieb Richard Heck:

>> The attached files illustrate a problem that I raised, and was told
>> not to worry about, when "---" was exchanged for \textemdash. The
>> problem is that the latter does not break the way the former does.

Unfortunately, the attachemnt does not make it through the GMANE mail to
news interface...

>> What can we do about this. It's very annoying. (Note that this file is
>> format 530 from latest master.)

> \textendash and \textemdash also cause other problems:
> http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/10490

> IMHO we should output the ligatures rather than the macros.

OTOH, the macros allow configuration in the user preamble.
This makes it more easy to adapt the line breaking to locale preferences,
e.g. with

\let\origtextemdash\textemdash
\renewcommand{\textemdash}{\nobreakspace\origtextemdash}

see also http://ctan.org/pkg/extdash
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/22419/disallowing-line-break-before-dash-en-dash-and-em-dash
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/32616/avoid-line-break-between-em-dash-and-the-next-word#32618

Günter