This could be changed to gets replaced by "----"

> This means that I am not able to enter "---------", for example.

At least not easily. (It works if you insert with spaces and delete them
later.)

OTOH, with the old behaviour strange things happen on export:

1) start a new document and insert this---foo
2) copy from another source bar—bar (with Unicode emdash literal)

In LyX <2.2, both emdashes look completely identical, but one allows
line breaks after the dash and the other not!

Günter