On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 09.26.39 WET Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:

> I am not sure I understand. The default setting of \dynamic_quotes is
> "false", which is equal to the case when the param is missing.
>
> Jürgen

That was the subject of my rambling on Sunday and something that I have been
trying to enforce in 2.3, but that I have clearly no communicated properly.
:-)

You are right if you compare the output for lyx-2.3.

My problem is a different one. Suppose that a document that you created with
lyx 2.2 is not touched with lyx 2.3 but later opened with a later version.
Suppose also that in after 2.3 we decide to change the default setting of
\dynamic_quotes to "true".

So now depending on the conversion path we will get two different documents
(with a possibly different output):

Case 1:
 * open the original document in lyx 2.3, do not change any of its content but
make it dirty in order to be able to save it;
 * open that saved document with a later lyx version.

Case 2:
 * open the original document directly with the later version.

Honestly most of the time there will not be any difference between the two
scenarios. My problem is that when there is a difference it could be very
difficult to catch.

So what I am proposing is a stricter implementation of a new file format. In
the case where a new header property is added the lyx2lyx associated changes
already has in the reversion step a moment where the property is removed from
the header. I propose that as much as possible you should ensure that in the
conversion step the properties should be added to the header with the default
value.

The ideal case would be a new test where for each new file format we a have a
set of tests where we take a document (with the User's Guide being the best
candidate), convert it with lyx2lyx to the new file format, load it to lyx
forcing a save and compare the difference. Ideally there should not be any
difference between the two versions.

I hope that this makes sense. :-)

Regards,
--