On Sat, May 06, 2017 at 11:54:56PM +0200, Stephan Witt wrote:
> Am 12.10.2016 um 04:30 schrieb Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org>:
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:27:51PM -0400, Richard Heck wrote:
> >
> >> Looks fine to me.
> >
> > It's in at 892593f.
>
> Hi Scott, I’m sorry to say that I missed the consequence of this change.
> On Mac the initial value for CWD of a program started from Desktop is
> the root directory. So, the document directory of non-configured LyX
> has effectively changed from $HOME/Documents to / and one is forced
> to configure the ancient default value explicitly in the preferences.
> It wouldn’t be a big deal to place it in "development/MacOSX/lyxrc.dist.in“
> but the dynamic value retrieval in get_document_dir() was not bad either.

I'm glad that you realized this. I can see how this behavior is a
regression.

> What should we do now? What do you think?
>
> Solution 1: Make it platform specific in LyX::init()
> Solution 2: Runtime check for writable CWD in LyX::init()

Might not be a bad idea in general (although we should think carefully),
but even if we did this the user probably does not want to have the CWD
set to root. Also, suppose the CWD is not writable, where do we go? I
guess the fallback would be the user directory?

> Solution 3: Provide the mentioned lyxrc.dist.in change for Mac

I'm fine with either Solution 1 or 3 so whatever you feel is best is
fine with me. I can't help with Solution 3, but if you want me to take a
look at implementing Solution 1, let me know.

I wonder if the situation is similar on Windows. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Scott