On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 01:36:16PM +0200, Stephan Witt wrote:
> Am 09.05.2017 um 13:04 schrieb Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org>:
> >
> > On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 10:42:42PM +0200, Stephan Witt wrote:
> >
> >> The culprit in my case on Mac was the missing entry for document_dir (aka
> >> Working Directory).
> >> If I fill it with the name of my real document directory (e.g.
> >> /Users/stephan/Documents) then
> >> it works for me too. The 2.2.3 LyX doesn’t need that entry in preferences
> >> and uses the platform
> >> specific default value from Qt in this case.
> >
> > Stephan, do you think the easiest thing to do is just revert 892593fb?
> > I'm fine with that.
>
> This probably would solve the problem too. And I’m not that confident
> it is only Windows or Mac platform having this problem. If a Linux desktop
> manager software programmer decides it would be correct to start programs
> from menu or desktop icons at some arbitrary directory like / or /var/private
> or so we have the same problem on Linux.

Good point. I agree.

> Your goal was to start LyX from terminal with current directory as document
> dir.

Yes.

> Wouldn’t it be better to provide a command line option to choose the initial
> document dir explicitly?

I don't know. Reverting 892593fb doesn't affect me since I have '.' in
my personal preferences file. I made that change because I thought the
default would be more reasonable for everyone, but I was wrong. And if
someone does like the behavior of '.', I think the GUI of the paths tab
makes it clear how to achieve that behavior.

Reverted at 638020ab.

Thanks for the discussion. Let me know if you think anything further
needs to be done.

Scott