On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 11:15:01PM +0200, Enrico Forestieri wrote:

> However, given the semantics of \vspace, that change should not have an
> effect. Indeed, when used within a paragraph, the vertical space is added
> after the line in which the \vspace appears. So, for example, if you have
> the following snippet:
>
>     Here is a vspace\vspace{1cm} after this line. How can be seen it only
>     appears after the first line of this paragraph.
>
> Supposing that the first line ends at the word "appears", the output would be
>
>     Here is a vspace after this line. How can be seen it only appears
>          ↕ 1cm
>     after the first line of this paragraph.
>
> Thus, given that after that \vspace the line ends, one can think that
> a following blank line is irrelevant, but apparently it is not so.
> Moreover, the subsequent \vspace is not followed by a blank line
> (and this is not due to the above hunk).

I had always wondered how \vspace in paragraphs worked. Now I understand
and I also understand how LyX cannot display them exactly like the PDF
output because LyX does not know where the line break will be.

> Anyway, neither the change is desired, nor I can explain how that hunk
> slipped in, so I am going to revert it.

Thanks for the quick fix.

By the way, if anyone is curious how I noticed that difference in
spacing, it is thanks to the open-source "diffpdf" tool.

I compared the PDF that stable LyX produced for me of my paper with the
PDF that master LyX produces, with the following command:

    diffpdf mwe_before.pdf mwe_after.pdf

Setting compare to "Appearance" leads to the attached screenshot:

I find diffpdf to be a valuable tool when testing.

Scott