On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 02:07:51PM +0200, Kornel Benko wrote:
> Hi,
> I am struggling on the best install directory for our tex files.
> ATM, automake installs them for unix at lyx-system-dir/tex.
> But this dir is not part of the list 'kpsepath tex'.
> If a new user starts lyx, he/she has either set the environment TEXINPUTS
> or expand the path in preferences.
>
> Under cmake we add the data to "/usr/(local/)?share/texmf/tex/latex/lyx2.3",
> but that requires that this directory is used by kpsepath. Which is not the
> case
> if using texlive from CTAN.
> The situation is not better than the one from automake.
>
> So, from my POV, I'd prefer if lyx be able to add its own path to TEXINPUTS or
> set the default in lyxrc.texinputs_prefix from "." to ".:system-dir/tex"
>
> What do others think?

I think this is not a problem. The tex files can be moved to the correct
location (which may be different for different platforms) by the packager
(this is what Debian does, for example), or lyxrc.dist can be used to
augment the TEXINPUTS path. So, LyX (with automake, at least) is doing the
right thing, which is not to second guess where the files should go.
Moreover, note that this has not been a problem for decades.

--
Enrico