On 21 July 2017 at 22:28, Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 07:34:59PM +0000, Guenter Milde wrote:
> > On 2017-07-19, Christian Ridderström wrote:

> > > ... I would like to ask (not being optimistic), if there's some design
> description anywhere?
>
> > > I think this kind of information would be good to gather and store in
> some
> > > kind of design document, which could just be a text file in the repo.
> Then
> > > we could add knowledge to this document, and let if include the
> rationale
> > > behind our choices, as well as letting developers review the system
> design.
> >
> > I support the suggestion to create such a document and suppose to make it
> > a section in "Development.lyx":
> >
> > + bundled with other project policies and developer documentation
> > + write access for all developers
> > + we can use LyX's version control for to-be-reviewed parts and diverging
> >   opinions/comments
>
> +1
>
> Development.lyx does not have a rigorous structure. If anyone is
> interested in writing something more formal, when we can at reference
> that file from within Development.lyx.

So two suggestions for location are as follows:
- In Development.lyx
- Other document parallell to Development.lyx

A third alternative of which I was thinking was to create a separate
document that's included by Development.lyx.

Does anyone feel we should _not_ keep such a security document in the
general LyX repository?

Note: Generally speaking I'm all for being open and transparent, but such a
document might end up containing descriptions of ways in which LyX could be
compromised. It sort of goes with the territory of describing threat
scenarios/mechanisms.

/Christian

PS
Generally speaking I think it'd probably be a good experience for us
developers to collaborate on a LyX document in a Git repo. I suspect it'd
give us some ideas for improvements.