> One can use \usepackage{whatever} multiple times when no options are
specified. So, unless float was loaded as \usepackage[someoption]{float},
there should be no problem.

Yes, but this is my point. We don't know if it was already loaded with an
option. Therefore we should only load the package was not already loaded. E.g.
this way:

\@ifundefined{newfloat}
 {\usepackage{float}}{}

> Yes, this is a good idea and it fits well because minted is loaded after
the user preamble.

I'll do so.

>> "requires additional software (the pygments python module) and the
>> -shell-escape option for the LaTeX backend, which allows arbitrary code
>> execution."
>> What does that mean?

> I imagine you are asking while dressing your user hat...

What do you mean with that?

>> What is the pygments python module? and how do i
>> connect it with LyX?

> This is explained in the minted manual that also hints at how installing
it. I don't know how that works on Windows, but I imagine that should be
no problem...

I think you got my point already: You wrote something in the UserGuide that is
mystery to most of the users. The UserGuide should explain how things work and
not leave users alone being forced to google around.

Python appears nowhere in our docs so how should an average user know what that
is? Even if a user have heard about Python it doesn't mean that he knows how it
is structured, that it consists of modules, that then need to be loaded and how
this can be done.

> as in the past you also installed other python modules. It might
boil down to simply issuing the command

>  pip install Pygments

That doesn't work. On my PC at work where LyX 2.2.3 runs without problems I get:

C:\Users\ust>pip install Pygments
The command "pip" is either misspelled or could not be found

So users will be lost. Moreover to find out that one has to use a console and
prepare at first the PATH variable of Windows to find Python is nothing for an
average user. This required a lot of background knowledge and users who don't
have admin privileges cannot change the PATH variable.

>> What is the LaTeX backend and how do I apply the option
>> -shell-escape to it?

> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=FIND%3A+latex+shell+escape

Sorry, is that your understanding of a documentation?: Go on and google around
by yourself idiot!
This is a no-go! LyX users don't know what a LaTeX backend is as even I don't
know. Is it the latex.exe or the pdflatex command or the pdftex.exe etc.?
Google tells me nothing to answer this question:
https://www.google.de/search?hl=en&q=latex+backend&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=S3l4WeCaKsTEwQKDu7-IAw
(I get only results about biber.)

So please tell me what you mean and how one can use -shell-escape so that I can
document it.

thanks and regards
Uwe