On 7 August 2017 at 04:53, Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 06, 2017 at 11:27:16PM +0200, Christian Ridderström wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The wiki has "InterLinks", which is simply a convenient way to refer to
> > certain web pages.
> > For instance, this markup
> >
> >     bug:10481
> >
> > is automatically converted into this link
> > http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/10481.
> >
> > Similarly, there's prefixes like LyxDevelPost and LyxUsersPost which were
> > used to refer to gmane.org. Unfortunately gmane.org doesn't seem to
> contain
> > the LyX lists anymore :-(
> >
> > I just now tested repointing the prefix "LyxDevelPost" from gmane.org to
> > mail-archive.com, so e.g.this currently works:   LyxDevelPost:200333
> >
> > There's a problem though... it seems the IDs of posts, i.e. the number,
> is
> > different for gmane.org versus mail-archive.com. My repointing would
> > therefore mean that a pre-existing link into gmane.org "evolved" from
> > initially working fine, to not working at all, to suddenly pointing to
> the
> > wrong post in mail-archive.com. *sigh*
> >
> > A lesson learned here is that perhaps we should avoid referring to posts
> on
> > e.g. the devel list.
>
> I suggest always referencing ML threads using the Message ID. For example,
> instead of referencing your email with:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg201508.html
>
> I prefer to reference it as follows:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=mid&q=CANP4zpO6vK%
> 2BT8YQa7yMLXwMaw3fNcDUqO_%2BfcK80ypOJ0XB-Cw%40mail.gmail.com

Sounds pretty good to me.

Searching manually for the ID as per above caused me some problems
initially.
I can't just paste the message ID from your link as the %2B has replaced
'+' in the ID.

Note: In gmail I can see the message ID by looking at the original message,
which I do by clicking the little right downarrow next to the message and
selecting 'show original, e.g. giving me

canp4zpo6vk+t8yqa7ymlxwmaw3fncduqo_+fck80ypoj0xb...@mail.gmail.com

I've configured the wiki (edited the page Site/InterMap) to add the prefix
MsgId, which we can now use like this:

    MsgId:CANP4zpO6vK%2BT8YQa7yMLXwMaw3fNcDUqO_%2BfcK80ypOJ0XB-Cw%
40mail.gmail.com

But note that %2B needs to be used to replace the '+', or it won't work.

The downside is that it's a bit longer than e.g.

     LyxDevelPost:200333

It can however be made shorter using e.g. markup like this, where
parenthesis, (), are used to hide parts of the link:

    [[MsgId:CANP4zp(O6vK%2BT8YQa7yMLXwMaw3fNcDUqO_%2BfcK80ypOJ0XB-Cw%
40mail.gmail.com)]]

I just hope that the 'CANP4zp' isn't always the same...

/Christian