On 23.03.2018 10:33, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
Am 23.03.2018 um 05:22 schrieb Scott Kostyshak:

I understand your argument. I disagree that adding a dialog would hurt
the vast majority more than it would help it

That is the fundamental disagreement.

It doesn't help if you ask users who knows what a package is, if they would understand such a dialog. My experience is that the majority of LyX users (under Windows of course) don't know this. My experience will not change the longer we discuss. People like my mother can and do use LyX. She would not understand what you want but she should be able to use LyX in future.
Just an idea involving previous experience.

I seem to remember that since I am using LyX, which goes back many versions, there was always a dialog recommending but *asking* the user to run the MiKTeX update.

As I see it, due to the problems Uwe pointed out, many developers seem to accept that, at least for 2.3, LyX should not be installed without a forced MiKTeX update. (I might be wrong on this.)

However, also many developers seem to agree that, *as in all the versions before*, there should be a dialog asking the user before making changes to MiKTeX. (If the user denies to update MiKTeX, LyX will not be installed. So any amateur user will finally answer the question affirmative, I believe.)

Is there any strong evidence (maybe from many questions on the list or emails) that the dialog that LyX was showing before confused users? If not, what is the main difference between the old dialog and the new dialog in terms of how comprehensible it is?

I don't claim that many developers will follow my reasoning here. It is just a desperate attempt to make progress in some way.

Best,
Daniel