On 2020-08-17 00:37, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
Le 16 août 2020 21:27:44 GMT+02:00, racoon <xraco...@gmx.de> a écrit :
In general, ever thought about a further switch called "Advanced
Preferences"?

Adding an "advanced preference" section is a good sign that there is a
preference issue ;)

Here is some interesting reading from Gnome hacker Havoc Pennington about prefs. We might
find good ideas there. I guess the right question to ask is "do we want the feature
at all? If not, how could it be changed to be good for everyone?". This is amore
difficult path, but it leads to better programs.

I think you missed to send the link. But I seem to remember to have read it before but found it quite controversial. Anyway, it would be nice if you could share it again, so I can refresh my memory.

The answer to "Do we want the feature at all? If not, how could it be changed to be good for everyone?" seems to be:

First question: Some seem to want it, one seems to be indifferent only if there is a GUI switch, others are indifferent.

Second question: It seems that it can't. Some like that it gives the user an indication of the layout, some want it plain. These are inconsistent. I understand and find reasonable both points of view, in particular because this is a new feature that hasn't been tried out for a longer time in LyX. The feature isn't ready for testing in master yet as I recently noticed. But it might be worth introducing it at a later point so that the developers can try it out.

I fully agree that asking these question leads to better programs. And it might be that we have to reconsider the answers again with respect to the feature. However, sometimes choice might be the best option (and not just for political reasons - pace Pavel). (See also my answers to Pavel.)
--
Daniel