On 2/26/24 11:20, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
I do not propose this for now since it is a string change, but should we
mark utf8x support as deprecated in the dropdown box? Just to give a
hint that it is probably not what users want? If so, should I do this on
the master branch after 2.4.0 is out so that it will go into effect for
2.5.0? Note that I am just suggesting to add the string "(deprecated)",
and not to remove the support.

I don't know anything about the technical details, but a utf8x test
started failing after a TL update, and I do not think it is expected for
it to be fixed. See here:

   https://github.com/latex3/hyperref/issues/248#issuecomment-1961868947

I don't know anything at all, really, about language support and encodings, but it's fine of course to add new strings for 2.4.1 (if it is not an emergency release).

Riki