On 2/27/24 20:12, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 08:40:03PM -0500, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
On 2/26/24 11:20, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
I do not propose this for now since it is a string change, but should we
mark utf8x support as deprecated in the dropdown box? Just to give a
hint that it is probably not what users want? If so, should I do this on
the master branch after 2.4.0 is out so that it will go into effect for
2.5.0? Note that I am just suggesting to add the string "(deprecated)",
and not to remove the support.

I don't know anything about the technical details, but a utf8x test
started failing after a TL update, and I do not think it is expected for
it to be fixed. See here:

    https://github.com/latex3/hyperref/issues/248#issuecomment-1961868947
I don't know anything at all, really, about language support and encodings,
but it's fine of course to add new strings for 2.4.1 (if it is not an
emergency release).
That is good to know. It feels a bit weird to deprecate something during
a minor release. I don't have a strong preference though.

If we were deprecating it in the sense of "We might no longer support this", that would be one thing. But it's more in the sense of "You might want to know that this may not be supported in LaTeX itself for very much longer".

Riki