Amir admitted

> On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 11:30:32AM +0100, Jose Abilio Oliveira Matos wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 05:18:49PM -0400, Amir Karger wrote:

> > > Right. So it's just that Perl didn't have the sophisticated understanding of
> > > $foo(bar) beforehand. (Of course, this opens up the possibility of bugs,
> > > because I sometimes write $foo(bar) when I meant $foo[bar]. Leftover habit
> > > from BASIC, I guess.)

I'm glad I"m not the only one that still has BASIC flashbacks . . . Of
course, since I'm usually using Fortran, they generall work :) [And I
do miss midstr$() . . .

> >   I'm disapointed with you, you were my idol. Now all is lost, and nothing
> > makes sense. Thanks for this friday Amir, you destroyed my dreams to become
> > a great perl programmer.

> Well, if it makes you feel better, I recently finished my doctorate, and got
> a job at a bioinformatics company, where at least for the first four months
> I've been programming Perl full time. It's a lot of fun! Someone called me
> "Mr. Perl" the other day :)

The correct response is, "Ahem.  That's *Dr.* Perl" . . .

> OTOH, don't tell anyone, but I may be learning Java soon.

There's 12 step programs for that.  We have them for everything now.

hawk, the recovering lawyer, more than seven years since his last
lawsuit

Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                  /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail
These opinions will not be those of              X    and postings
Penn State until it pays my retainer.           / \