On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 08:19:16PM +0100, Christian Ridderström wrote:
> > > You need to fix your window manager? SCNR
> >
> > Indeed. Save a few small changes I use the same configuration as 14
> > years ago.
>
> ok... and all new WM features since then are just crap? ;)

Maybe it's just their documentation.

For one, I've not yet figured out how to bind e.g.

 'Ctrl-Left' to 'move mouse cursor one virtual screen to the left'

and

 'Alt-Left' to 'move mouse cursor half a virtual screen to the left,
                going to the next screen to the left when necessary'

in either KDE or Gnome. I even asked on usenet...

> > It could be made less intrusive like the pink corners of the math boxes
> > (instead of a 'solid' box...)
>
> Those corners are nice... which reminds me, do you remember that problem
> with extra space after the math-inset (the one where the extra space made
> you think that there was a real space, and then at the printout you got
> stuff like "in this formula C=2you have")

Yes, I run into this regularly myself. But that's just the usual 2 point
box space acculmulated by nested boxes...  Maybe going down to 1 would
help already...

> Well, it's not easy to know if it's too much or not. That's one reason I
> think it would be good to be able to switch between modes... for that
> matter different people probably have different thresholds.

Too much choice is bad as well.

> > This holds for a novel or such, but even the random science paper has
> > structure. And, btw, if you only have flat text you'll never see a box
> > even with all-boxes.
>
> Now I'm confused... I don't write novels, but I am a book-aholic, and
> there's quite often markup (italics, bold etc) even in them. Some modern
> novels look awful due to too much markup btw.

The average novel I read is just flat text with a heading every 20
pages or so.

> Anyway, this markup would show up as boxes wouldn't it?

Yes.

> (and thus possibly impede the writer of that text).

You lost me. If too much markup in a novel annoys you, so why do you
try to use 'people need lots of markup in novels' as an argument?

Andre'