I know that an LFUN is a lyx-function and a little more:

        http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/Devel/LFUNs

>From lfuns.h I get:
        * These are all the lyx functions, the main mechanism
        * through which the frontends communicate with the core.
        *
        * They are managed in LyXAction.C and handled in various
        * ::dispatch() functions, starting with LyXFunc.C:dispatch()

So far it seems clear as crystal, but looking at the enum names and the
strings for the user commands I get confused. Which one is supposed to
"define"(*) the intended behaviour of the LFUN?

A function such as LFUN_QUIT / "lyx-quit" is straight forward, it's a
command to the core to do quit, and both names indicate this.

However, LFUN_HOME / "line-begin" is less clear to me.
The enum name makes me think of the Home-key, and the intended behaviour
of that key can be ambiguous - in Emacs it goes to the beginning of the
buffer, and in XEmacs it goes to the beginning of the line.

Consider the user command instead: It's obvious that "line-begin" means go
to the beginning of a line in 'textEd'. However, it is less obvious that
"line-begin" in mathEd actually means the behaviour it currently has:

        Go to the beginning of the current math-inset,
        unless already at the beginning and not at the root inset,
        in which case go up one level.

Note that this is not a complaint about what happens when you press the
Home-key in mathEd or textEd, but that I'm confused about which name is
supposed to "define/indicate" the intended behaviour of the function.

confused
/Christian

(*) I mean "define" in the sense that I think the name, either of the
enum, or of the command string should be clearly connected to the
intended action of the LFUN.

--
Christian Ridderström                           http://www.md.kth.se/~chr