> I would vote for a configureable option (with GUI too?).
> The good old text file is easier to handle when you want to
> CVS your .lyx files.

You are right. Even if I am using svn, which handles binary files
better than cvs, one can not diff a binary file. (But we will have
change-tracking system in 1.4.0, so 'cvs/svn diff' is less useful
anyway.)

Compared to a  configuration/GUI option, I think a menu item 'save
gziped' is easier to use and implement. In this way, user can open
plain/gziped lyx file and save either plain or gziped. For the same
file, I can 'save' to cvs/svn and 'save gziped' to send via email, and
many users will prefer gziped file for emails due to reduced
attachment size (and get around the problem without knowing it.)

Bo