Travis> I compiled and installed lyx from the 1.0.1 sources.  I am
Travis> running RedHat 5.2 with the 2.2.2 kernel.

Could you give some information on how you compiled LyX?

Travis> When I run "lyx" from a terminal window, I get a popup window
Travis> that sayes it cannot find some .lst file (textclass.lst?).

You can try to run 'lyx -dbg 2' to see in which directory LyX is
looking for its files.

Travis> When I run "lyx -sysdir /usr/X11/share/lyx" the program runs
Travis> and I can read the help files, edit files, etc.  However, when
Travis> I try to print to "View dpi," I get an error that says "Cannot
Travis> change to directory . . .  ."  It is a temp directory which I
Travis> can find and which my login owns.  I get this popup several
Travis> times in a row, then the program crashes.

This one is more problematic... It might be an interference with
kernel 2.2.2. Do you still have 2.0.x around, to check whether this
fails too?

JMarc