On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 10:18:26PM -0800, Norm Matloff wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 09:33:51PM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

> > I tend to agree with Pablo on this.  While a beginner myself as well, I don't
> There is indeed a TeX/LaTeX newsgroup, and it is NOT overrun by spam.
> Take a look for yourself, comp.text.tex, and you'll see what I mean.

I wasn't trying to imply that all groups are such.  But I have run into a
number which were.  It may well be a function of their general popularity...
???

> If selling LyX to the public is a goal, as you imply above, having a
> LyX newsgroup would help a lot.  Anyone who uses Deja News to search
> for TeX/LaTeX questions would come across the LyX newsgroup.

I don't disagree with this at all.  Nonetheless, an occasional post to a
newsgroup, as I mentioned before, would place that post in search results
from dejanews.

At the same time I also recognize the possible friction caused by such posts
into other groups.

> Deja News is also a much more convenient way to search LyX discussion
> archives than is a LISTSERV.

Likely so!

> Mailing lists have a significant disadvantage in that anytime someone
> goes on vacation or otherwise cannot check their e-mail for a few days,
> upon return they find the mailboxes jammed with messages from the
> mailing list.

True, but this is a low volume list.  Then again, if lots of people catch

The reasons for Having such a group are good.  I'm not "horribly against" the
idea, but my reservations do exist.

cheers,

Kenward