Is there a trick that will let me easily combine a set of paragraphs
into a single paragraph?  I'd like to, say, select the lines (that
LyX thinks of as paragraphs) and invoke an Edit function saying:
"Remove the newlines at the ends of these lines, and put a space
between the words joined by that action." or something like that.

I imported a large ascii file, and to preserve essential formatting
in most of it, I had to import it as lines.  Now I'm faced with
very tedious cleanup in the parts that should have been imported
as paragraphs.  Click at the beginning of line, backspace, space,
click at the beginning of the next line... :(

I'm using LyX Version 1.1.5fix1 of Tue Jul 18, 2000.

TIA

Jim