On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Svante Signell wrote:

> Sorry, my replies should also go to the users list. Damned mailer.
>
> The xforms version in rawhide/powertools directory is still 0.88-15, where
> the following change has to be made to forms.h: Comment out
> <X11/Intrinsic.h>.
>
> Even though LyX now compiles, I have problems with LyX dumping core at
> start up. Lars, has this been solved recently?

Almost anytime LyX dumps core at startup the problem has turned out to be
that you have mismatched glibc and xforms libraries.  RH do a good job of
getting the xforms library versions wrong on their powertools cd.  I'd
recommend you go to ftp://ftp.sylvan.com/pub/lyx/ and see what Kyvan has
there or better yet go for the xforms ftp site at:
        ftp://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/pub/xforms/

which appears to be down at the moment or goto
        ftp://ftp.cs.ruu.nl/pub/XFORMS/

and get the xforms-glibc2.1 tarball for linux.  RH always seems to keep
the xforms-glibc tarball instead which is incorrect.  One way to help
ensure xforms has a bad name isn't it: bundling the wrong library with
your distro.

Of course this could be some other problem but without a backtrace I can't
do more than guess.

> BTW: Are the lyx lists archived somewhere? A lot of problems
> can be solved by referring to older postings. Ther was a lot of
> disussion about the X11 header file defining Object.

http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/

Allan. (ARRae)